W. Q. M. Berly House

122 Berly St., Lexington, South Carolina

Photo 

W. Q. M. Berly House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

One of the few remaining Victorian cottages in town, the W.Q.M. Berly House is an example of a town farmhouse. It is believed to have been built by Charles Wallace Harmon for W.Q.M. Berly, who farmed lands on the Saluda River near this property. He acquired the property in 1904. Upon his death in 1915, the property was inherited by his daughter Mrs. Bessie Kyzer, who died in 1963. The W.Q.M. Berly House, constructed in 1904, is a one-story, frame cottage with an irregular plan and a gable roof. The house is sheathed in weatherboard; the roof covered with standing seam metal. The fašade features a cross gable with imbricated shingles and sawn bargeboard, and a hip-roofed wraparound porch supported by turned posts with sawn brackets and a turned balustrade. The stained glass and incised wood center door, framed by transom and sidelights, is flanked by full-length six pane windows. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1983
Reference number
83003870
NR name
Berly, W. Q. M., House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1904

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources