David Rawl House

201 W. Main St., Lexington, South Carolina

Photo 

David Rawl House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The only board-and-batten dwelling in the town of Lexington, the David Rawl House is one of nine surviving antebellum houses in town. The house, which was constructed ca. 1854, is a rectangular, one-story, frame cottage with a gable roof and a rear ell. The façade features double pedimented cross gables supported by four wood pillars connected by a balustrade. The house, including the cross gable ends and the pillars, is sheathed in board-and-batten; the roof is covered in standing seam metal. Original fenestration on the façade consisted of two single doors in the center flanked by six-over-six windows. The left door was converted into a window in the 1950s. The home’s construction may date from when Rawl acquired the property from Noah Hendrix ca. 1864. Rawl’s adjacent carriage, wagon, and harness business was one of the few industries operating during the county’s antebellum period. His business employed twenty-one workers. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1983
Reference number
83003915
NR name
Rawl, David, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1854

Update Log 

  • September 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources