Simmons-Harth House

Also known as: Simmons-Harth-Gantt House
102 Gantt St., Lexington, South Carolina


Simmons-Harth House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2021



Street View 


The Simmons-Harth House, constructed ca. 1830, is a two-story, rectangular, later Federal style frame house with a gable roof, exterior end chimneys, and one-story shed rooms on the rear. The house is sheathed in weatherboard siding, and the roof is covered in standing seam metal. A double-tiered, pedimented portico is attached to the fašade. The portico features slender wooden columns and pilasters and a fanlight in the gable end. The area of the fašade protected by the portico is sheathed in flushboard and has a chair rail. The portico also shelters a fan-lighted central entrance on each story. Alterations include replacing the first-story columns with square wooden posts ca. 1900 and enclosure of the original central, open passageway between the shed rooms on the rear. The house is one of the townĺs oldest residences and one of the few remaining buildings illustrating the early history of the town. The house was probably constructed ca. 1830 by Dr. Thomas Hayne Simmons and his wife Mary Reid Jones. In 1866, Mary J. Simmons was appointed postmistress for Lexington village. In 1868 their daughter Mary Simmons Harth was appointed postmistress and remained in that office until 1895. She operated the post office from a small wooden building on the property, which was moved in 1974 to the Lexington County Museum property. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1983
Reference number
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1830

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks