Mount Hope

SC 34, Ridgeway, South Carolina

Historic home near Ridgeway, SC

Photo 

Mount Hope, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Mount Hope is significant as a relatively intact example of nineteenth century vernacular architecture in Fairfield County and for its association with Dr. John Peyre Thomas, a prominent physician and amateur scientist. Dr.Thomas reportedly ordered the construction of Mount Hope in 1836 for $1,025 by a Mr. Killian, along with the construction of a kiln for making brick and tiles for the basement floor. Thomas graduated from South Carolina College, completed a medical degree in New York, and obtained one of the earliest medical licenses in South Carolina. His “Diary of Weather and Occurrences” provided one of the earliest meteorological chronicles for interior South Carolina. Mount Hope is a one-and-one-half story, weatherboarded, frame residence on a raised basement. Three pedimented dormers with nine-over-nine windows pierce each slope of the gabled roof. Front and rear elevations have porches supported by 8-foot high masonry piers. The front porch features flush wall boards with a chair rail, a plain balustrade, pilasters, and six cedar columns. The rear elevation features two shed rooms which flank the porch, which has been screened. Side elevations display twin double-shouldered chimneys laid in Flemish bond. Outbuildings include a ca. 1850 frame smokehouse and a ca. 1875 tenant house. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1984
Reference number
84000589
Areas of significance
Health/Medicine; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
1836
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 31, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources