Old Stone House

Off SC 34, Winnsboro, South Carolina

Historic home near Winnsboro, SC

Photo 

Old Stone House

Photo taken by Michael Miller

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

The Old Stone House is significant as a rare example of eighteenth-century stone construction. Samuel Gladney (ca. 1740-1800) received a royal land grant in 1768 on which he constructed the Old Stone House. A corner of the house bears the date 1784. The house passed through several owners before it was purchased in 1870 by the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for use as a parsonage. The house is a two-story, side-gable roofed, stone building, with a double-pile floor plan and end chimneys of stone. The front porch foundation and stone piers remain, although porch roof and supports have been removed. The fašade has a central door with a massive stone lintel flanked by single four-over-four windows with stone lintels. The second story has three four-over-four, shuttered windows. The rear elevation has an off-center entrance flanked by two single windows. The second story has two four-over-four windows and a third that has been filled with stone. The roof is covered with metal. December 6, 1984.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1984
Reference number
84000614
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1784

Update Log 

  • October 31, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources