Rhea-McEntire House

Also known as: Riverview
1105 Sycamore St., Decatur, Alabama

A historic antebellum Greek Revival mansion located along the shoreline of the Tennessee River's Wheeler Lake in Decatur, Alabama.

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by J.R. Manning November 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Rhea-McEntire House is a historic antebellum Greek Revival mansion located along the shoreline of the Tennessee River's Wheeler Lake in Decatur, Alabama.

The house was constructed prior to 1836, and was used as headquarters by both Union and Confederate forces, alternately, during the Civil War.

In 1862, before being occupied by Federal forces, the plans for the Battle of Shiloh were laid out within this building. Because of this, the house was spared when the city was burned, leaving only 2 other buildings standing in the city. The house was also used as the first temporary courthouse, during the construction of the first permanent courthouse in Somerville, in Cotaco County (now named Morgan County).

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1984
Reference number
84000715
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1836; 1855

Tags 

19th Century (37,785)
Alabama (1,825)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1836 (211)
Built during 1830s (2,707)
Decatur, Alabama (9)
Granite (5,090)
House (27,641)
Morgan County, Alabama (18)
Private owner (54,398)

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2018: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • December 19, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos
  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources