Thaddeus Binford House

Also known as: City Federation of Women's Club
110 N. 2nd Ave., Marshalltown, Iowa

Photos 

Thaddeus Binford House

Photo taken by Dave King on September 24, 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Binford house was home to Jessie Florence Binford (1876-1966), daughter of Thaddeus and Angie (Beasley) Binford. Jessie Binford was a long-time Hull House resident and executive director of the Juvenile Protective Association. While at Hull House, Binford became interested in criminal justice and children's issues, becoming the Director of the Legal Aid Society when it was established at Hull House in 1906. She was known throughout the thirties, forties, and fifties for her efforts to fight the growing problem of illegal drugs. Binford was active in the fight to preserve the Harrison-Halsted neighborhood as a residential community and opposing the sale of Hull House property to the City of Chicago. Jessie Binford returned to her native Marshallown in 1963, giving away her family residence and choosing to spend her last three years in the nearby Hotel Tallcorn.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 12, 1984
Reference number
84001286
NR name
Binford, Thaddeus, House
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Civic
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1874; 1888

Tags 

19th Century (36,896)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1874 (404)
Built during 1870s (4,896)
Have Street View (43,307)
House (27,069)
Iowa (2,480)
Italianate (5,079)
Marshall County, Iowa (18)
Marshalltown, Iowa (8)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,697)

Update Log 

  • September 25, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added photos, street view and description

Sources