Fair-Rutherford and Rutherford Houses

Also known as: Rutherford House, Fair-Rutherford House, Palmetto Dental Services
1326 and 1330 Gregg St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Fair-Rutherford and Rutherford Houses, Rutherford House-Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Fair-Rutherford House and the Rutherford House are one- and two-story residences, respectively; the former was erected ca. 1850 on land owned by Dr. Samuel Fair and underwent three alterations during the following century (ca. 1879, ca. 1905, and ca. 1950), and the latter was built in 1924-25. Both houses are significant in Columbia black history because of their association with the advancement of the Rutherford family from slavery to prominence and respect. Over the years, both male and female members of this African American family living in these houses have been business owners, professionals and educators, among them, Dr. Evaretta Sims Rutherford, an educator and Fulbright scholar who wrote, co-authored, or edited six books in the field of African studies. William H. Rutherford’s business had prospered sufficiently by 1905 to permit him to acquire the Fair-Rutherford House as a rental property; his son Harry B. Rutherford, Sr. expanded the family’s holdings with the purchase of the 1330 Gregg St. property in 1914. By 1925 the family had built an imposing residence on the 1330 lot adjacent to the Fair-Rutherford House. William H. and Harry B., Sr. operated independent manufacturing businesses when most blacks in the nation were laborers or worked in service-related occupations. Later family members concentrated their attention on the acquisition of real property and other business ventures. Dr. Harry B. Rutherford, Jr. was a prominent Columbia educator, consultant, and credit union official. Listed in the National Register April 5, 1984. The Fair-Rutherford House was demolished in 2004.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 5, 1984
Reference number
84002093
Areas of significance
Industry; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Education
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1905; 1924
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources