Barratt House

SC 67 & Bryan Dorn Rd., Greenwood, South Carolina

Photos 

Barratt House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Barratt House is significant for its association with Dr. John Perkins Barratt, a prominent South Carolina scientist who designed and supervised the construction of the house as a gift for his son John Joseph Gall “Jack” Barratt. The two-story, stuccoed brick house with a roof of standing seam metal was built ca. 1853-56 and is significant for its Gothic Revival architectural elements. In addition, the house is distinctive for its elaborate woodcarvings, which were executed by Barratt, an amateur sculptor and artist. Barratt also painted murals on each plaster wall of the ornately decorated parlor, and painted scenes on the hand-carved mantels in each room of the house. Wings were constructed at the north and south ends in 1957 and 1969, respectively. Five extant outbuildings, including a hewn log structure believed to have been constructed as a schoolhouse for Barratt’s children in 1830, a gear house, corncrib, granary, and smokehouse are also on the site. The Barratt House is landscaped by ornamental plantings including boxwoods, cedars, oaks, and magnolias. The cedar-lined driveway is a remnant of the antebellum roadbed long since abandoned. Listed in the National Register September 12, 1985. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 12, 1985
Reference number
85002382
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1853; 1856
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4
Non-contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • September 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources