Gambrill House

Monocacy National Battlefield-MD 355, Frederick, Maryland

Photos 

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Gambrill House was built ca. 1872 for James H. Gambrill, a successful Frederick County miller. Gambrill built the Second-Empire style mansion on high ground overlooking Araby Mill, a gristmill and the source of his prosperity. At the time it was one of the county's largest and grandest residences. The mansard-roofed building was one of the few full expressions of the Second-Empire style built in the Frederick County countryside. The National Park Service acquired the Gambrill property in 1981, to be part of Monocacy National Battlefield. The Battle of Monocacy (July 9, 1864) was fought on this and neighboring farms. Though the Confederacy won a nominal victory, Union commander Lew Wallace succeeded in delaying Confederate Jubal A. Early long enough to prevent the latter's seizure of Washington. The Gambrill House had yet to be built at the time of the battle. The mansion relates to the Civil War-period of the community, however, in that it is representative of rebuilding and improvement that took place locally during the immediate post-war years. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 18, 1985
Reference number
85002902
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1868; 1873

Update Log 

  • March 18, 2020: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates"
  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources