Evan J. Lide House

Also known as: Meade House
W of CR 228 NW of SC 34, Springville, South Carolina

Photo 

Evan J. Lide House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Evan J. Lide House is significant as one of the six remaining buildings of the rural nineteenth century planter community of Springville. This house is said to have been one of the first permanent residences in what was, up to that time, basically a summer retreat or pineland village. Evan J. Lide, who is believed to have built the house circa 1839, was the son of Hugh Lide, generally considered to be the original settler of the Springville area and to whom the name “Springville” is attributed. Evan J. Lide, a wealthy planter, also owned Back Swamp Plantation, which was the source of his income. Comfortable yet unpretentious, the house reflects the more casual lifestyle of Springville. The house is a rectangular, two-story gable-roofed weatherboard-clad building set on a brick pier foundation with a central hall plan and exterior gable end chimneys. The facing façade contains a full-width, one-story, shed-roofed porch supported by square, solid pine posts overhung by a wide boxed cornice. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1985. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 10, 1985
Reference number
85003139
NR name
Lide, Evan J., House
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1839

Update Log 

  • August 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 11, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources