Tall Oaks

Also known as: S. McLendon House
SC 341, Bishopville, South Carolina

Photo 

Tall Oaks, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Tall Oaks, built ca. 1847, is a good example of a two-story vernacular Greek Revival residence. The house has a hipped roof and rests on a brick foundation. On the front fašade is a two-story, gable-roofed pedimented portico with four large columns. These columns are of brick construction with a stucco finish and Doric motif capitals. At the rear of the house is a shed roof and hipped roof porch addition added ca. 1910. The interior retains its original woodwork, wainscoting, mantels, and paneling. An original brick kitchen still stands behind the main house. This kitchen has a large corbeled brick chimney, water table, and gable roof. Tall Oaks is associated with a notable Bishopville family of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The house was built by Dr. John Edward Dennis. Dennis was born in Virginia in 1802 and he moved to Bishopville in the 1820s. Dennis was both a prosperous physician and farmer and in 1847 he constructed this large frame house which he named Tall Oaks for the many surrounding large oak trees. His son, Robert Dennis continued to live in the house and practiced medicine in Bishopville until his death in 1904. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1986
Reference number
86000045
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival; Other architectural type; Vernacular Greek Rvival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1847
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources