Spencer House

Also known as: Gene McLendon House
817 N. Main St., Bishopville, South Carolina

Photo 

Spencer House, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Spencer House is a notable vernacular Greek Revival residence constructed ca. 1845. It was constructed by Charles Spencer, a leading Bishopville merchant of the nineteenth century. A house is shown on this site in 1821 and part of this original home may have been retained in the ca. 1845 construction. The main section of the house is a large two-story, frame structure. On the main façade is a two-story, pedimented portico supported by four square frame pillars with Doric motif capitals. In the gable field of the pediment is an elliptical sunburst design. On the second story behind the portico is a balcony with a rectangular railing and spindles. At the rear is a one-story, gable roof ell with a large exterior brick chimney. Spencer, a native of Connecticut, moved to Bishopville in the early 1840s and along with his partner and relative, William Rogers, he operated one of Bishopville’s most prominent stores of the mid-nineteenth century. Spencer also served as Bishopville’s postmaster from 1845 to 1866. Family legend states that Spencer modeled his home after Rogers’ which was built several years earlier. The two houses are both very similar in floor plan and appearance. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1986
Reference number
86000046
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Vernaculer Greek Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1845

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources