Thomas Fraser House

Also known as: Woodham House, Gregg House
US 15, Bishopville, South Carolina

Photo 

Thomas Fraser House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1847, the Thomas Fraser House is notable example of the vernacular Greek Revival style and is associated with several notable families of Bishopville of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The two-story house has a gable roof, weatherboard siding and a brick foundation. The main fašade features a one-story porch supported by six round brick and stucco columns with prominent bases and Doric capitals. Behind these freestanding columns is a frame porch with a rectangular railing and spindles. Thomas Fraser was born in 1798 and moved with his family to Bishopville during the early 1840s. Fraser was a farmer and he constructed this house in 1847 according to family tradition and a date carved in one of the chimney bricks. Fraser died in the late 1850s and this property was sold by the family in 1867 to Reverend William Gregg. Gregg was the minister of the Bishopville Presbyterian Church from the 1860s until his retirement in 1904. At the rear of the house is the original kitchen which was remodeled ca. 1900 into a farm office. This one-story building has a porch with milled balusters and round columns. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1986
Reference number
86000050
NR name
Fraser, Thomas, House
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Vernacular Greek Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
1847
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • July 6, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources