Grovewood

Also known as: Weston House
SC 769, Congaree, South Carolina

Photos 

Grovewood, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Grovewood is significant architecturally as one of the few remaining large antebellum plantation houses in lower Richland County. The date of the building’s construction is not clear and various elements appear to have been remodeled later. Family tradition holds that a one-story house was built ca. 1765 near the location of St. John’s Episcopal Church, moved to this location ca. 1835, and enlarged to its present size and style. However, another source indicates that the house was constructed by William Weston II ca. 1800 and that his son made numerous changes to the house. Architectural evidence suggests an early nineteenth century construction date; whether or not the house has an earlier core moved from another location is not known. Nails, other hardware, and building materials were made on the plantation, a blacksmith shop being located there. The building is of frame construction, with two stories over a stuccoed brick foundation, weatherboard siding, and a low hipped roof with a dentil cornice. Set in a grove of pecan trees, the property includes a frame kitchen and other outbuildings remaining from its active days as a plantation. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
86000530
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources