Barber House

Off CR 37, Hopkins, South Carolina


Barber House

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Barber House, which according to family tradition was constructed ca. 1880 and expanded in the early twentieth century, is significant for its association during the late nineteenth century with the South Carolina Land Commission, a unique attempt by a southern state to give freedmen the opportunity to own land. Although many freedmen eventually lost their land, the land on which the Barber House is located has remained in the same family since 1872. The numerous additions made to the house in the early twentieth century reflect the growing prosperity of this African American family in the years after the Civil War. In 1872, Samuel Barber, a former slave, purchased the forty-two and one-half acre lot. In 1879, his wife, Harriet, also a former slave, made the final payment and received title to the property. According to family tradition, Samuel Barber founded St. Johnís Baptist Church near Hopkins. After the deaths of Samuel Barber in 1891 and Harriet Barber in 1899, their son John and his wife Mamie Holly lived in the house, where they raised eleven children. In addition to farming the property, John Barber was a public school teacher for approximately forty-five years and a Baptist preacher for over sixty years. The house has remained in the Barber family. It is a rectangular, one-story, frame building with weatherboard siding. Various additions have been made to the rear of the house more than doubling the size of the building. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1880

Update Log 

  • October 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 6, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller