George P. Hoffman House

N of CR 54, Blythewood, South Carolina


George P. Hoffman House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The George P. Hoffman House, reputedly built ca. 1855, is the oldest building in the present-day town of Blythewood and is significant for its association with the early development of the community. The construction of the house preceded Blythewood. A settlement known as Doko developed in this area around a stop of the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad line, which was completed in 1852. In 1879, the village was incorporated as the Town of Blythewood and in 1918 Blythewood was included in a section of Fairfield County that was added to Richland County. The original owner, George P. Hoffman was a native of North Carolina. In 1860, Hoffman owned six slaves and was farming 34 acres. By 1870, he was operating a substantial sawmill that employed an average of twelve hands. The house is a one-story braced-frame Greek Revival style residence that has been enlarged and remodeled in several phases, but the original structure is largely intact. The house has a central, five-bay block with weatherboard siding and a masonry foundation. A pedimented porch spans the three central bays of the fašade. This porch has paneled piers and flushboard siding. The central entrance has a rectangular transom and sidelights. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
NR name
Hoffman, George P., House
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1855

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 14, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller