Photo taken by Rattrak
Constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story balustrade, a cupola, period chimneys and refurbished window units. According to oral tradition, the interior building materials were imported from England. Most farmsteads of this era were constructed of wood; the brick used on this one demonstrates the affluence of its builder. By 1891 the Upton farm consisted of 138 acres. Upton farmed this land and sold fish from the Clinton River. When the exterior restoration of the house was done in 1981-82, the interior was adapted for use as public offices.