Albright-Dukes House

Also known as: Dukes House
127 Academy St., Laurens, South Carolina

Photos 

Albright-Dukes House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in May 2016

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Albright-Dukes House was built ca. 1904 as a residence for Dr. George C. Albright, a Laurens dentist. Dr. Albright purchased three adjoining lots from the Irby family at an auction in February 1904 and is believed to have had the house constructed shortly thereafter. The house is significant to Laurens as the city’s best example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style of architecture. Few houses of this style were constructed in the Upper Savannah region of South Carolina during the early twentieth century, and even fewer retain their architectural integrity. Notable features include its cross-gambrel roof; the shingled gambrel ends with Palladian windows; unusual fenestration, including stained glass, leaded glass, and lattice-paned windows; pedimented dormers; corner guards on the interior plaster walls; large, airy rooms; and an impressive foyer/stairhall. The house is sheathed in weatherboarding on the first story, with wood shingles in the gables. A single-story porch, supported by Tuscan columns with a simple balustrade, extends across the façade and portions of the side elevations. The Albright-Dukes House has had few alterations and retains integrity from the time of its construction. One outbuilding, a frame garage built ca. 1930, is included in the nominated acreage. Listed in the National Register November 18, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1986
Reference number
86003149
NR name
Albright--Dukes House
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Other architectural type; Dutch Colonial
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1904
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • May 27, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources