Charles H. Duckett House

Also known as: Duckett House
105 Downs St., Laurens, South Carolina


Charles H. Duckett House

Photo taken by Michael Miller on June 9, 2016


Street View 


The Charles H. Duckett House is significant to the areas of architecture, black history, and commerce for its association with Charlie Duckett (1860-1947), a prominent black Laurens businessman. Mr. Duckett built the house ca. 1892 as his private residence and continued to live there for the rest of his life. He was a carpenter, contractor, and lumber dealer in Laurens during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. In addition to the lumberyard, Duckett operated a funeral home. He took an active part in the civic affairs of Laurens and in the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The Charles H. Duckett House is a vernacular, one-story, frame residence with a partial basement. The L-shaped house has a low-pitch, hip roof of standing seam metal and a boxed cornice. The exterior is sheathed in beaded weatherboarding, accented by corner pilasters and a water table. The house is outstanding in its level of ornamentation. Distinctive features include sawn and perforated porch details, paneled ceilings, ornate mantels, wainscoting, carved door and window surrounds, and an Eastlake front door. The home is located in a residential neighborhood that has been associated with the black community of Laurens since its development. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1986
Reference number
NR name
Duckett, Charles H., House
Areas of significance
Commerce; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1892
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • June 10, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller