Frogmore

S of Pine Landing Rd. near intersection of SC 174 and Laurel Hill Rd., Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Frogmore, Left Rear Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Frogmore Plantation was constructed ca. 1820 by Dr. Edward Mitchell of Waccamaw, when he married Elizabeth Baynard of Edisto Island. The house is significant architecturally and agriculturally as a distinctive remnant of an antebellum sea island cotton plantation. In 1840 Dr. Mitchell operated a plantation of considerable size, at that time he owned a large labor force of 124 slaves. The house is a rectangular, two-story, hip-roofed residence sheathed in weatherboard. The fenestration of the fašade is symmetrical in a five-bay arrangement. There is a one story, five bay, shed-roofed porch, which has chamfered posts and a rail balustrade, across the entire fašade. The ceiling above the porch and main house have boxed cornices. Two large, interior, brick chimneys pierce the roof on the rear slope. The house sits on a raised brick pier foundation. The interior features grained woodwork and pilastered mantels. During the federal occupation of Edisto Island beginning in 1862, the house was used as headquarters for a Colonel More of the 55th Pennsylvania Regiment. Listed in the National Register May 5, 1987. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1987
Reference number
86003203
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1820; 1862

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources