Sunnyside

Also known as: Townsend Mikell House
Off N side of Peter's Point Rd., Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Sunnyside, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Sunnyside, constructed between 1870 and 1880 by Townsend Mikell, son of Isaac Jenkins Mikell of Peter’s Point Plantation, is significant as one of the few remaining, relatively intact, immediate post-Civil War sea island cotton plantations on Edisto. Sunnyside is a one-and-one-half story weatherboard-clad, rectangular plan, mansard roof residence surmounted by a glassed cupola with flared eaves. A seven-bay, one-story, hipped roof porch extends fully across the façade and wraps both side elevations. The roof is supported by chamfered posts and has a slat balustrade. A boxed cornice with paired brackets comprises the eaves at both the porch and main roof. There are several outlying buildings and the tabby foundation of a cotton gin adjacent to the house. Directly behind the house are two small, rectangular, one-story, gable roof, weatherboard-clad outbuildings that were probably the quarters of house servants. There is also a long, rectangular, weatherboard-clad, one-and-one-half story barn. The Sunnyside Plantation Foreman’s House was added to the original nomination. The house faces east toward the unpaved lane that leads north to the small island on which Sunnyside Plantation house is located. It is a two-story, weatherboard-clad, frame residence, with a front gable roof clad in V-crimped metal, and a two-tier porch at the south elevation. The first level of the façade is sided with rough, circular sawn wide weatherboards. The low foundation rests on a mixture of brick and wood piers, with a cement slab foundation at the front porch. A small one-by-one bay gable roofed structure has been attached to the rear elevation, and there is a one-story shed roofed addition along the right elevation. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986; Boundary increase February 4, 1994. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1986
Reference number
86003216
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1875
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"

Sources