Hutchinson House

N side of Point of Pines Rd., Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Hutchinson House, Left Oblique-1991

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Hutchinson House is the oldest identified house on Edisto Island associated with the black community after the Civil War. It was the residence of Henry Hutchinson, a mulatto who, according to a local tradition, built and operated the first cotton gin owned by a black on the island from ca. 1900 to ca. 1920. Hutchinson was born a slave in 1860, and was the son of James Hutchinson, a mulatto who made notable attempts both as a slave and as a freedman to improve conditions for blacks on Edisto Island. Henry Hutchinson is said to have built the house at the time of his marriage to Rosa Swinton in 1885, and resided here until his death in ca. 1940. The house is a rectangular, one-and-one half story residence featuring a side gable roof with bargeboards and three gabled dormers on the front slope of the roof. The weatherboard clad house rests on a raised, brick pier foundation and has shed and gable-roofed additions at the west and north elevations. The pedimented front porch dates from a later period. Listed in the National Register May 5, 1987. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1987
Reference number
86003218
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1885

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 15, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources