Wilson-Clary House

Also known as: Crisp House
120 Irby Ave., Laurens, South Carolina

Photo 

Wilson-Clary House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in May 2016

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Wilson-Clary House, built ca. 1892, is a vernacular Victorian residence that utilizes some elements of the Eastlake style. Exterior ornamentation on this house in more restrained than on homes typically utilizing Eastlake elements (such as Laurens’ Dr. W.C. Irby House and the Lyde Irby Darlington House). Notable exterior features include a tent roof gazebo, pedimented window surrounds, attic vents with scalloped louvers, and sawn brackets. The house was built for J.J. Wilson, Jr. and Toccoa Irby Wilson on a lot acquired from Mrs. Wilson’s brother, Dr. W.C. Irby. The two-story frame residence is sheathed in weatherboarding. Two brick corbelled chimneys pierce the cross-gable roof, which has a boxed cornice with returns and sawn brackets. A single-story wraparound porch extends across a portion of the façade and a portion of the north elevation. A tent roof gazebo is attached at its vertex. The main entrance is centered and has double doors and a transom. The interior is distinguished by the ceiling medallions and cornice, a marble mantel, and an elaborate staircase. The house is located on a large lot in a residential neighborhood. Listed in the National Register December 11, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1986
Reference number
86003471
NR name
Wilson--Clary House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1892

Update Log 

  • May 27, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources