Garwin A. Mace House

Also known as: Lois Schneider House
W166 N8941 Grand Ave., Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

One of the more elaborate Queen Anne Revival style houses in Menomonee Falls

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in January 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The frame G. A. Mace residence is located on a foundation of coursed limestone block. A cross-gabled roof, with asbestos shingles covering the cedar originals, tops the twostory- plus-attic elevation. The structure derives much of its character from two steeply- pitched, right-angled, and projecting gable ends unified by a smaller, but matching second story dormer.

Condensed from a document prepared for the National Park Service, Inventory Form for Nominated Properties dated April 30, 1986.

The Contributions of Garwin Mace to Menomonee Falls 

Condensed from a National Park Service document by J.R. Manning

Garwin Mace invested in the lime industry prior to coming to Menomonee Falls in 1890. It remained a major industry in Wisconsin and Waukesha until the early 1890. However, produced only for local use, the lime industry in Menomonee Falls, itself, remained poorly developed until the arrival of the railroad in 1889. The railroad allowed producers to transport lime products directly to urban areas rather than sending it by wagon to Milwaukee for shipment. Mace had begun his career in the lime business in partnership with Charles Ruedebusch at Mayville in Dodge County about 1874.

In 1891, Mace purchased the Nehs quarry holdings from Dent and Hastings, who had acquired them the previous year from Edward Nehs. Frederick Nehs had erected three kilns, and opened quarries by 1845 to provide lime for construction in the Menomonee Falls vicinity. But the operation had experienced little development prior to Mace's purchase. In 1891, Mace, operating as the Marble Gloss Lime Company, opened a new quarry and erected three new kilns in what is currently known as Lime Kiln Park on Mill Street. It was nominated to the National Register in 1982. The kilns produced powdered lime for plaster, mortar, and other industrial and agricultural uses. Because of the saturation of the lime market by the late 1880's, a shift from the use of building stone to sawn lumber, and the growing preference for Portland cement to mortar, Mace quickly sold his company in Menomonee Falls to Rudolph Brothers of Milwaukee. He continued to develope[sic] limestone quarries at Rockfield and Germantown in Dodge County[sic] and Grafton in Oneida County[sic], and owned the Mayville Lime and Coal Company in Minneapolis.

In addition to investing in the lime industry, Mace also financed an addition to the Van Vetchen Block, known as the Mace Block, in 1909 (see WK 94-19, N16665 Main Street). He served as the first village president after the community's incorporation in 1892 and also as a board member and first vice president of the Farmer's and Merchant's Bank, founded in 1908. Mace died in 1919.

Condensed from a document prepared for the National Park Service, Inventory Form for Nominated Properties dated April 30, 1986.

Editor's Note: Rockfield and Germantown are in Washington County. Grafton is in Ozaukee County. Garwin Mace was a prominent citizen in Menomonee Falls and a street bears his name in the industrial park.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 21, 1988
Reference number
88001650
NR name
Mace, Garwin A., House
Architectural styles
Victorian: Queen Anne; Other architectural type; Vernacular Queen Anne
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1891
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • April 13, 2016: Essay added by J.R. Manning

Sources