Campus of mid 19th Century buildings centered on a 2-1/2 story frame residence
"The foundations are low, random coursed stone, the walls are clapboard, and the roofing materials are asphalt shingles. The dormer and pedimented gable ends of the east and south fašades are surfaced in diamond and fish scale wood shingles. One-story canted bays with hip roofs are located on the south and east fašades near the southeast corner.
"The fenestration, symmetrical on the principal fašades and functional on the rear, consists of double-hung, single-paned sash windows and modern decorative shutters. Large plate glass windows are located on the first floor of the south fašade and in the east bay window. A T-shaped window group composed of two double-hung windows flanked by smaller leaded glass windows, a decorative feature common to the Craftsman style, is located on the first floor of the west fašade.
"A keystone-arched window with diamond panes is located between floors on the north fašade and in the east fašade dormer. A leaded oculus is located on the second floor of the east fašade. Palladian windows are located in the pedimented gable ends on the south and east fašade. The front entry located on the south fašade consists of a single door with an etched glass light, colored glass side and transom lights, and a pedimented lintel matching the plate glass window to the west. Secondary entries are located on the east and north fašades.
"A half-width veranda wraps around the northwest corner with chamfered posts on pedestal bases. Similar porches were removed from the south fašade at an unknown date. Other distinctive features include pent returns, frieze boards, and corner pilasters.
"The interior follows a central hall plan with a parquet floor and walnut stair railing to the second floor. To the right is the parlor with heavy architrave wood trim, while to the left is a library and a Craftsman-style dining room with leaded glass cabinets and built-in buffet.
"About 1940 the Kimball family also removed the rear 1913 wing which repeated the lines of the eastern gable end. The removal of this wing would normally represent a significant loss of integrity, but the alteration has carefully maintained the building fabric and materials so as to be virtually indiscernable. Cornice moldings, pent returns, clapboards, window sash, and even the veranda ceiling paneling duplicate those found elsewhere.
"Contributing Building #2 is an early 20th century one-and-one-half story frame garage of the same general scale and materials as the other resources in the nomination. Its plan configuration is rectangular and the roof form is side gabled. The foundations are concrete, the walls are clapboard, and the roofing materials are asphalt. Sliding doors are located on the east and west fašades, and two double six-light vehicle doors are located on the west fašade. A gas pump is also located on the west side of the building. A door to the attic is located on the east fašade at the northeast corner. A window with double-hung, six-over-six sash and decorative shutters is located in the north gable end.
"Contributing Building #3 is a two-story Greek Revival animal barn built in 1860. The plan configuration is square, and the roof form is hipped with a pedimented cupola. The foundations are uncoursed stone, the walls are clapboard, and the roofing materials are asphalt shingles. The fenestration is functional and consists of double-hung, six-over-six sash windows with modern decorative shutters. The cupola is louvered. Sliding vehicle doors and a hinged hayloft door are located on the west fašade and accessed by an earthen ramp. Transomed doors are located on the south and east fašades near the southeast and northeast corners, respectively. Other distinctive features include frieze boards and thin corner pilasters. The interior includes historic stalls, cistern, and grain storage areas.
"Contributing Building #4 is an early 20th century one-story garage of the same general scale and materials as the other resources in the nomination. The plan configuration is rectangular and the roof form is pyramidal. The foundations are concrete, the walls are clapboard, and the roofing materials are asphalt shingles. The fenestration is formal and consists of double-hung, single-paned sash windows. Three hinged vehicle doors are located on the west fašade.
"Contributing Building #5 is a late 19th century Queen Anne style gazebo. The plan configuration is octagonal and the roof form is pyramidal with a wooden finial. The foundations are uncoursed stone, the framing is wood, and the roofing materials are imbricated and coursed wood shingles. The gazebo features a wood panel railing, diagonally cross-braced with dropped pendants and incised grilles.
"Also included on the property are two red granite hitching posts along Middleton Street and two iron hitching posts on either side of the earth ramp to Contributing Building #3 on State Street.
"All the resources within the nomination are believed to have been constructed within the 1860-1913 period of significance and are constructed of similar materials to a compatible scale. The resources are all located on the homestead property acquired by Alanson Kimball in 1860 and reflect an evolution of domestic use by the Kimball family."
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Peter J. Adams of Peter J. Adams & Associates, February 4, 1988. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
Editor's Note: With apologies to Mr. Adams, the original document is written with each building described in one long paragraph. I have taken the liberty to add paragraph breaks to make the document more readable.