Kneeland--Walker House

Also known as: Wauwatosa Historical Society
7406 Hillcrest Dr., Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

The finest example of the Queen Anne style in Wauwatosa

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This Queen Anne style house was built in 1889-1890 by Norman L. Kneeland. He moved to the area after the Civil War, but when city development expanded faster than he cared for, he sold out and built this magnificent home in the Village of Wauwatosa. In 1911, the home passed to David Kneeland.

David Kneelandís widow Cornelia later sold the house to Emery Walker, an inventor and engineer. Walker spent considerable effort maintaining the house. He added an elevator in 1945 his wife, Mabelle.

The Wauwatosa Historical Society purchased the elegant Kneeland-Walker House in 1987 because of its historical and architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 19, 1989
Reference number
88003212
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1889
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Tags 

19th Century (35,826)
Brick (42,439)
Built during 1880s (6,048)
House (26,364)
Limestone (8,186)
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (273)
Private owner (54,397)
Queen Anne (5,029)
Victorian (19,684)
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin (17)
Wisconsin (2,308)

Update Log 

  • April 13, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources