Effingham

Also known as: 76-6
14103 Aden Rd., Aden, Virginia

Map 

Description 

"Effingham" was the home of Colonel William Alexander (1744-1848) and a descendant of Philip Alexander, second son of the emigrant. This is the same family for whom the city of Alexandria was named. William Alexander is believed to have built the house in 1765 when he married Sigismunda Mary Massey. The Alexanders reared a family of sixteen children, including a set of twins. Their family Bible is still preserved with entries of marriages, births, and deaths, some dating back to 1696. The Alexander burying ground is located on the lane leading to the house. It is a matter of record that Eleanor Calvert died while visiting at Effingham and was laid to rest among her friends, the Alexanders. She will be recalled as Mrs. David Stuart at that time, but previously the widow of John Parke Custis, son of Martha Washington. In recent years Eleanor Calvert Stuart's remains have been reinterred at Pohick Church. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 9, 1989
Reference number
89001793
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Southern Colonial
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Agricultural outbuildings
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799
Significant year
1777
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4
Non-contributing structures: 1

Sources