Altwood

Also known as: Cedar Crest Farm
W of Marengo Co. Rd. 51, S of jct. with Co. Rd. 54, Faunsdale, Alabama

A historic plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Altwood is a historic plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built in 1836 by Richard H. Adams and began as a log dogtrot house. It was then expanded until it came to superficially resemble a Tidewater-type cottage. Brought to the early Alabama frontier by settlers from the Tidewater and Piedmont regions of Virginia, this vernacular house-type is usually a story-and-a-half in height, displays strict symmetry, and is characterized by prominent end chimneys flanking a steeply pitched longitudinal gable roof that is often pierced by dormer windows.

The house was moved to Cedar Crest Farms in 1988 and restored by members of the Rankin family. It was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on February 19, 1988 and to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993 as a part of the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993
Reference number
93000598
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Tidewater cottage
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1836; 1988

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources