Cedar Grove Plantation

Also known as: Charles Walker House
Marengo Co. Rd. E of jct. with AL 25, Faunsdale, Alabama

A Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama.

Photos 

Cedar Grove

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Alex Bush, Photographer, November 14, 1936 EAST ELEVATION (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE (GENERAL VIEW)

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Cedar Grove Plantation, also known as the Charles Walker House, is a Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama. It is notable in having been the residence of Nicola Marschall for a brief period while the Walker family owned the property. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 13 July 1993 as a part of a multiple property submission, "Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings".

History

The house had its beginnings in 1830 with the construction of a two-story log house by Dougal and Malcolm McAlpin, two brothers from Scotland. In 1848 Charles and Margaret Walker purchased the property and hired a builder from Virginia, Theophilus Fowler, to begin construction of the main house. The house served as the center of the large plantation, Charles Walker owned 154 slaves in 1860. The former log house is believed to have been incorporated into the main house to become the dining room and a bedroom. The house remained under construction until 1858.

Nicola Marschall was a friend of the Walker family and lived with them briefly at their home. The two-story schoolhouse behind the main house is believed to have been used by him as a studio during his time there. This schoolhouse served as a school for children in the area until 1925. The house remained in the Walker family until 1982.

Description

The house is a two-story frame structure with a gabled roof and double veranda. It is built in a vernacular Greek Revival style. The original porch was altered in 1915 from a one-story design with simple turned wooden columns, spanned by arched latticework, to the multi-level configuration with paneled box columns seen today.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993
Reference number
93000599
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1857; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources