Cedar Haven

Demolished
Also known as: Houston Alexander Place
Marengo Co. Rd. 61 SE of jct. with AL 25, Faunsdale, Alabama

Was a historic Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Cedar Haven was a historic Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built in 1850 by Phillip J. Weaver. Weaver was a prominent merchant and planter. He was born in Mifflintown, Pennsylvania in 1797 and relocated to Selma from Uniontown, Maryland in 1818. He ran a very successful store in Selma and also maintained a home there.

When the community of Woodville, near Cedar Haven, applied for a post office, the name Woodville was already in use by another Alabama community. Weaver suggested the name Uniontown and his suggestion remains as the name of the town until this day. Phillip J. Weaver was killed in Selma in 1865, purportedly by a Union soldier, several months after Wilson's Raid on Selma. The next owner of the plantation was John Davidson Alexander, born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina in 1820. He died in 1901. Cedar Haven was inherited by his son, Houston Alexander, following his death.

The house featured a two-story Doric tetrasyle portico. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993 as a part of the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission. Although still standing in 2000, it has since been demolished.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993
Reference number
93000600
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1850
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description, Landmark has been demolished

Sources