Cuba Plantation

Marengo Co. Rd. 54 W of jct. with AL 25, Faunsdale, Alabama

A historic plantation house located in Faunsdale, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Cuba Plantation is a historic plantation house located in Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built in 1850 by Andrew Pickens Calhoun as an overseer's house for this, his second plantation. His primary plantation was the nearby Tulip Hill. Andrew Calhoun was the son of John C. Calhoun, seventh Vice President of the United States. Originally a one-story structure, the house was expanded after it was sold in 1863 to Tristram Bethea. His family enlarged the ground floor and added a second story. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993, as a part of the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1993
Reference number
93000601
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Storage
Current functions
Storage; Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
ca. 1850; 1870; 1880
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 7
Contributing structures: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources