Cedar Crest

Also known as: Cedar Crest Farms
E. side Marengo Co. Rd. 51, .5 mi. S. of Co. Rd. 54, Faunsdale, Alabama

A Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Cedar Crest, also known as Cedar Crest Farms, is a Greek Revival plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama. It was built for Kimbrough C. Dubose in 1850 by Albert Prince, a slave. The house is one-and-a-half stories with side gables, but has been simplified. It originally had side wings, with adjoining porches across the front. These were removed in 1939, leaving the small central front portico. Another historic plantation house, Altwood, was moved from a nearby location to the Cedar Crest grounds in 1988. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 05, 1993 as a part of the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 1993
Reference number
93000763
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
ca. 1850; 1859
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources