Orange Grove

Also known as: Gaillard-Colclough House
Jct. of SC 43 (Black River Rd.) and SC 441, Dalzell, South Carolina

Photo 

Orange Grove, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Orange Grove, originally built in 1851, is significant as an excellent example of the historic adaptation of residential design resulting from a natural disaster that occurred in 1924. In April of that year, a tornado tore off Orange Groveís roof, gabled half story, and most of the second story. In response to the stormís disastrous results, the houseís owners salvaged all that remained and reconfigured the roof over a half story in a style consistent with early twentieth building practices. Whereas prior to 1924 the house was of a vernacular style common to the eastern and lower parts of South Carolina, Orange Grove after the tornado took on the form and appearance of a raised cottage with a Prairie or Craftsman type roof. The principal block is a one-and-one-half-story, braced frame and weatherboard house set upon a one-story brick raised basement enclosure which has been stuccoed and scored. The site of Orange Grove also includes an elongated, one-story frame servantís house to the north of the main house. The property is also significant for its association with the Gaillard family, prominent among those deriving from early French Huguenot settlers of lowcountry South Carolina, and the Colclough family, relatives of the Gaillards and the propertyís owners from 1902-1953. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1993. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1993
Reference number
93000845
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Raised Cottage
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1851; 1924
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources