Charlton Hall Plantation House

Intersection of Neely Ferry Rd. & Brick House Road, Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Photo 

Charlton Hall

Photo taken by Michael Miller in June 2015

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Charlton Hall Plantation House is significant as an intact and relatively uncommon example of mid-nineteenth century brick construction in the rural South Carolina upcountry, and for its association with George Washington Sullivan, Sr., (1809-1887), a prominent farmer and public servant of Laurens District before, during, and after the Civil War. Brick construction in the upcountry prior to upland cotton production and the subsequent expansion it encouraged was limited primarily to buildings for public use such as courthouses or churches or for commercial purposes. Relatively few brick residences were built in Laurens before the Civil War. Sullivan built this house ca. 1847 on part of his extensive land holdings. The home’s massing and details reflect elements of the Greek Revival style. Sullivan was the principal owner of G.W. Sullivan and Company, which operated a lime kiln, and was an officer in the Fork Shoals Cotton Mill, which had been founded by his father. Sullivan’s farm produced forty, 400-pound bales of ginned cotton, 4000 bushels of Indian corn, 700 bushels of oats, 600 bushels of wheat, 200 bushels of peas and beans, and smaller amounts of sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, and rye in 1860. Sullivan represented Laurens County in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1862-1864 and was a Laurens County Commissioner from 1868-1870. Three early-twentieth century outbuildings to the rear of the main house – a blacksmith shop/shed, a smokehouse, and a frame shed – also contribute to the historic character of the property. Listed in the National Register May 26, 1995. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 26, 1995
Reference number
95000633
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Secondary structure; Single dwelling
Current functions
Secondary structure; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant year
1847
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • June 10, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources