St. Mary's Rectory

610 E. Jefferson St., Iowa City, Iowa

Photo 

St. Mary's Rectory

Photo taken by Dave King

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Private home listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building housed the Catholic clergy that served St. Mary’s Church from 1854 to 1892. The Rev. Mathias Hannon arrived at St. Mary’s as an assistant and became pastor in 1852. He served St. Mary’s until 1855. It was during his pastorate that this building was built in 1854. The building is a simple wood frame structure that was built next to the original church. The building exhibits elements of the Greek Revival style. The home was built for $1,100.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 7, 1995
Reference number
95000811
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1856

Tags 

19th Century (36,354)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1854 (320)
Built during 1850s (4,575)
Exotic Revival (7,377)
House (26,794)
Iowa (2,457)
Iowa City, Iowa (65)
Johnson County, Iowa (97)
Limestone (8,192)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Moved (2,187)
Private owner (54,396)

Update Log 

  • May 20, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added Description

Sources