Weaver, Clement--Daniel Howland House

Also known as: Clement Weaver House
125 Howland Rd., East Greenwich, Rhode Island

Photos 

Clement Weaver House

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Photographer unknown, 1931 EXTERIOR VIEW SHOWING EAST FRONT OF HOUSE, BEFORE FIRST RESTORATION.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Clement Weaver House is one of Rhode Island's seventeenth-century treasures, with a construction history that began in 1679. Originally it was a one-room, end-chimney house type with a lean-to on the north. Expanded three times before 1750 (expanded first over the lean-to; then to rear; then with kitchen ell), the house hints at its evolution through the pair of staircases by the chimney that rise to a wedge-shaped landing and then, separately, to the garret rooms. The sequence of construction was identified during the restoration by the architect Norman Morrison Isham. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS RI-46)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1995
Reference number
95001266
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Postmedieval English
Areas of significance
Architecture; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749
Significant year
1679
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Sources