F. Julius LeMoyne House

49 E. Maiden St., Washington, Pennsylvania


Photo taken by Jim Allen in August 2014




The Francis Julius LeMoyne house was built by his father, John Julius LeMoyne, in 1812. It "was a center of antislavery activity in southwestern Pennsylvania from the 1830s through the end of slavery. In 1834, LeMoyne joined the Washington Anti-Slavery Society and was the organization's president from 1835 to 1837, after which he was commissioned by the American Anti-Slavery Society to be its regional agent. LeMoyne, along with his children and wife Madelaine, were active in the Underground Railroad." -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1997
Reference number
NR name
LeMoyne, F. Julius, House
Architectural styles
Georgian; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Medical business/office
Current function
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874

Update Log 

  • August 25, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description

Related landmarks