Williams, Austin F., Carriagehouse and House

127 Main Street, Farmington, Connecticut

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Austin F. Williams, a leading abolitionist of his day, established a station on the Underground Railroad here, and helped make Farmington a center of abolition activity in the Northeast. The property's particular significance derives from its association with the celebrated AMISTAD affair of 1839-1841. In a complex legal case arising from a slave revolt on the high seas in 1839, slavery as an institution was challenged for the first time in the U.S. Supreme Court. In March 1841, members of the Mende tribe of West Africa who had participated in the revolt were released from prison, and housed in quarters that Williams provided. They remained in their temporary domicile, now incorporated in the carriagehouse, until they were returned to their homeland in November 1841. (See First Church of Christ) -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, August 6, 1998

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 1998
Reference number
98001190
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874
Significant year
1841

Update Log 

  • October 4, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources