William Apollos James House

208 N. Dennis Ave., Bishopville, South Carolina

Photo 

William Apollos James House, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The William Apollos James House, built in 1903 and substantially altered in 1911, is significant as an example of an early twentieth-century vernacular rendition of a Colonial Revival style residence which grew from a modest Folk Victorian cottage. The house was built in 1903 as a lateral-gabled, one-story Folk Victorian cottage with a center gabled dormer. It was occupied by the James family in January 1904. A second story with hip roof, as well as a hip roofed wraparound porch with boxed classical piers, was added in 1911. The house follows the standard central-hall with four-over-four pattern of rooms. The front door, which is original, is framed by a three-light transom and three lights along each side with square and rectangular underpanels. It is also significant for its association with William Apollos James (1857-1930), prominent state representative, agriculturalist, businessman, and community leader of Lee County. Important too is the collection of historic and interesting flora contained within its ornamental and fruit garden. The house is situated in a setting of mature trees and shrubs, and the historic landscape contributes to the significance of the property. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1999. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1999
Reference number
99000200
NR name
James, William Apollos, House
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1903; 1911
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources