Rock Hill Cotton Factory

Also known as: Plej's Textile Outlet, Ostrow Textile Mill
215 Chatham St., Rock Hill, South Carolina

Photos 

Rock Hill Cotton Factory

This is a photograph of the old warehouse made in early 2005. It was built in 1894 and came to be known as Fewell Cotton Warehouse.

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson in February 2005

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Rock Hill Cotton Factory has had many names since it was built in 1881 as the first steam-powered textile mill in South Carolina. A warehouse was built on the property in 1894 that was named Fewell Cotton Warehouse. In 1898, the entire facility was renamed Belvedere Mills and then Crescent Mills. The mill then closed in 1921 and it's future was uncertain but it reopened in 1925 as Cutter Manufacture.

In the 1990s, it became a Plej's Textile Outlet Store before closing in the 2000s. The City of Rock Hill redeveloped the property and it now serves as office and retail space.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1992
Reference number
92000658
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current functions
Specialty store; Warehouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant year
1881

Update Log 

  • August 17, 2019: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Added photos and updated descripted
  • August 17, 2019: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • August 17, 2019: New photo from Joseph Hinson
  • August 26, 2018: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • October 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"
  • December 1, 2012: New Street View added by Andrew Wood
  • December 1, 2012: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Sources