Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company

Also known as: Duke Power Steam Plant
211 E. Broad St., Greenville, South Carolina

Photos 

Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company

Photo taken by Michael Miller in April 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The two buildings (ca. 1890) of the Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company are significant to the city of Greenville as one of its earliest electrical plants. The larger building served as a coal-fueled, steam-powered electric generating plant. This one-story, rectangular brick building has round arched window and door openings. The second building is a two-story rectangular brick building originally used as offices for the power company. The window and door openings have segmental arches. The buildings were owned and operated by the Greenville Gas and Electric Light and Power Company. In 1910 the buildings were sold to the Southern Power Company which was rechartered in 1913 as Southern Public Utilities. Later the company evolved into Duke Power Company. The building is vernacular Victorian with Romanesque commercial structure elements. It is one of the few remaining Victorian structures in the downtown area. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1982
Reference number
82003857
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Vernacular Victorian
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Energy facility
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1890

Update Log 

  • April 7, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 11, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 11, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources