Gugel Bridge

Also known as: Beyer Road--Cass River Bridge
Beyer Rd. at the Cass R, Frankenmuth Township, Michigan

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen, Feb 2008

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

Built in 1904, this 204-foot-long bridge carried the Detroit and Saginaw Turnpike over the Cass River in Bridgeport Township. By around 1919 the pike, which became the well-traveled Dixie Highway, required a more substantial crossing and this bridge was replaced and relocated to this site. The bridge closed in 1979. William 'Tiny' Zehnder had the structure restored as a pedestrian bridge in 2004. The Gugel Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2000
Reference number
00000217
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Pratt through truss bridge
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1904; 1919; 1920

Update Log 

  • November 28, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen

Sources