Waco Suspension Bridge

For more details on this bridge, please
visit our companion Bridgehunter.com website
At Bridge St., over the Brazos River, Waco, Texas

Suspension bridge over the Brazos River on Bridge Street in Waco

Map 

Street View 

Description 

When completed in 1869, the 475'-0"-long Waco Suspension Bridge was the state's first major suspension bridge. The first bridge to span the Brazos River, it originally featured two castellated pink brick towers. The span opened as a toll bridge on January 7, 1870. Its toll houses feature stepped gable roofs, parapets, and round arched openings. Financed by the Waco Bridge Company, it is an example of a bridge built at the initiative of local business leaders during the Reconstruction when local governments had difficulty funding large capital projects. McLennan County purchased the bridge in 1889, freed it of tolls, and turned it over to the city of Waco. It was reconstructed by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Company between 1913 and 1914. The Waco Suspension Bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1971. The original structure was designed by Thomas M. Griffith, an engineer who had worked for the John A. Roebling's Sons Company. The Waco Suspension Bridge was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER TX-13)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1970
Reference number
70000850
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1870

Update Log 

  • September 7, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources