Choate Bridge

MA 133/1A over the Ipswich River (S. Main St.), Ipswich, Massachusetts

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Arthur C. Haskell, Photographer April, 1934 (a) Ext- View of west side

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Choate Bridge is an example of early stone construction in the history of American road building. The Essex County Court voted in December, 1764 to name the bridge in honor of Col. John Choate, who supervised construction. The bridge originally measured 80'6" long and 20'6" wide in 1764. In 1838 the bridge was widened to 35'6" on the east side. The west side and parapet of the bridge, along with the inscription to Col. Choate, remain unchanged. / Choate Bridge ranks among the oldest, if not the oldest, extant bridges in Massachusetts. Built in 1764 to replace a succession of earlier timber spans, it survives basically unaltered with two elliptical stone arches and a battered stone parapet or "guard wall." The bridge is representative of period technology. It was widened to its present 35' 6" in 1838. The bridge was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places August 21, 1972. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER MA-81)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 21, 1972
Reference number
72000137
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Double stone arch
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Levels of significance
State; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
1764

Update Log 

  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • January 1, 2012: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources