Covered Bridge

For more details on this bridge, please
visit our companion Bridgehunter.com website
1 Mi. N of Five Corners over Cedar Creek, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Lattice through truss bridge over Cedar Creek on Covered Bridge Road

Photos 

The East Face

Once known as the "Red Bridge," this structure was built in 1876 from timbers milled in Baraboo, Wisconsin and hauled to this location for assembly. A center pier was added in 1927 to support the weight of automobiles. In 1940, the Ozaukee County Board voted to forever preserve this bridge. It is the last historic covered bridge extant in Wisconsin. (A replica covered bridge, the Springwater Volunteer Bridge was built in Waushara County in 1997.)

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2007

View this photo at bridgehunter.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Example of Burr arch truss covered bridge dating to 1876. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1973
Reference number
73000092
Architectural style
Other architectural type; latticed timber truss
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current functions
Pedestrian related; Outdoor recreation
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1876

Update Log 

  • January 2, 2012: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • July 3, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status
  • June 24, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources