John Seabrook Plantation Bridge

Also known as: Admiral George Palmer Bridge
NW of Rockville off SC 700, Rockville, South Carolina

Photo 

John Seabrook Plantation Bridge, Bridge Arch

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Ca. 1782, John Seabrook built a ferry and stagecoach tavern on his property at the banks of Leadenwah Creek; a highway to this landing was constructed about the same time, allowing the tavern and its landing to become an integral part of the transportation system which connected the city of Charleston with the coastal islands. An arched bridge structure was the means by which the highway crossed the draw. The bridge is one of only two brick bridges in the Charleston area known to be built before the Civil War. The bridge is constructed of brick veneer in American bond enclosing a fill mixture of crushed oyster shells and rammed earth. The original road was probably surfaced with a crushed shell compound. The road was probably used for the commercial transportation of rice and indigo from plantation to market through the first quarter of the nineteenth century. By that time, the importance of these plantations on the sea islands was sharply declining and, as a result, road and bridge slowly fell into disuse. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
Reference number
74001841
NR name
Seabrook, John, Plantation Bridge
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1782

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources