John Bright Covered Bridge

For more details on this bridge, please
visit our companion Bridgehunter.com website
2.5 mi. SW of Baltimore over Poplar Creek, Baltimore, Ohio

Covered bridge relocated to the Ohio University-Lancaster campus in Lancaster

Photos 

Photo taken by Anthony Dillon in June 2008

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The John Bright No. 2 Covered Bridge was built in 1881 by the local firm of Augustus Borneman and Sons of Lancaster, Ohio. The suspension truss design is very unusual, and is known to have been used in only a few bridges in the state. It is virtually identical to the nearby John Bright No. 1 Iron Bridge (see HAER No. OH-44), although the Covered Bridge was strengthened by a wooden arch added at a later date. The design is somewhat similar to a number of mid to late 19th century patents, but it is almost identical to Archibald McGuffie's 1861 patent: "Improvement in Construction of Bridges." This bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER OH-45)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1975
Reference number
75001393
NR name
Bright, John, Covered Bridge
Architectural style
Other architectural type; One-Span Combination Truss
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1881

Update Log 

  • October 1, 2015: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 16, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon

Sources