Comstock Covered Bridge

Also known as: Comstock's Bridge
Over Salmon River north of Route 16, E. Hampton/Colchester

One of three remaining covered bridges in Connecticut

Photos 

CT 06C 3

Downstream side

Photo taken by Chester Gehman in May 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A wooden bridge consisting of a covered Howe truss and a secondary span, an enclosed pony truss. The bridge was built in 1873 by the towns of East Hampton and Colchester, and sometime after 1932 the two towns transferred ownership to the State of Connecticut. The bridge has been renovated three times; in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps, in the 1970's, and again beginning in 2011.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 1, 1976
Reference number
76001978
NR name
Comstock's Bridge
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Howe-truss covered bridge
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1868

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2016: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • May 28, 2016: Updated by Chester Gehman: Corrected build date and added description
  • January 1, 2012: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources