Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge

For more details on this bridge, please
visit our companion website
Berry's Creek Rd., Bluff Dale, Texas

Cable-stayed bridge over Puluxy River on CR 149 (Berry's Creek Road)


Street View 


The Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge is the oldest surviving cable-stayed suspension bridge in Texas and may also be the oldest in the United States. One of seven Texas suspension bridges surviving from before 1940, it is part of a once extensive regional tradition of vernacular suspension bridges. Repaired in 1899 by the Flinn-Moyer Bridge Company and moved in 1934, the Bluff Dale bridge is also the only known surviving example of Edwin Elijah Runyon's bridge patents. The structure was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER TX-36)

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 20, 1977
Reference number
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1895; 1925; 1934

Update Log 

  • December 30, 2011: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger